Stewart Park covers about 120 acres and consists both of mature woodland and arboretum on the southern side, with open parkland on the northern side. Two sets of lakes provide habitat for our water fowl.
A big favourite with all the family is the extensive pets corner with many types of domesticated animals, fallow deer, highland cattle, llamas and goats.
It is most famous as the birthplace of Captain Cook. The site of his cottage is marked by a granite vase in the nearby Captain Cook Birthplace Museum. Look out for the new Captain Cook Play area!
It also hosts a number of large events, including the Cleveland Show.
The park is available free of charge to charitable organisations for fund raising events such as sponsored walks and fun runs.
Stewart Park was opened to the public in 1928 and covers 47 hectares. It was originally laid out as a manor house and deer park in the early 1800s by a wealthy army major, and the entire village of East Marton was removed to create it.
The park was once in the ownership of Middlesbrough iron magnate Henry Bolckow in the nineteenth century. His elegant Marton Hall was the centrepiece of the estate which was purchased by Councillor Thomas Dormand Stewart in the 1920s.
He gave the parkland and hall to Middlesbrough residents and Stewart Park was formally opened in 1928. The Hall was demolished in 1960 after much of the building was destroyed by fire.
The park now consists of mature woodland, parkland and an arboretum with two lakes providing habitat for water fowl. The pets’ corner is home to domesticated animals, fallow deer, highland cattle, llamas and goats.